The main characters of the tv-show The Waltons
John “John-Boy” Walton Jr.
Played by: Richard Thomas in seasons 1-7 (guest appearances in season 6-7) and in the three first tv-movie sequels. Robert Wightman plays John-Boy in seasons 8-9, and in one of the TV-movie sequels.
John-Boy is the main character of the show. He was 15 in the pilot movie and 17 when the tv-show started. It is the adult John-Boy who provides narration for the show, as he remembers events from his youth.
John-Boy is the eldest son in the Walton Family. He lives with his parents, parental grandparents, and six siblings.
John Walton Sr.
Played by: Ralph Waite seasons 1-8, eight episodes of season 9, the six first TV-movie sequels. Adrew Duggan played the character in the TV-movie The Homecoming: A Christmas Story.
John Walton Sr. is John-Boy´s father, and the patriarch of the Walton family.
Played by: Michael Learned seasons 1-8 (guest appearances in season 8), and in four of the TV-movie sequels. The character was played by Patricia Neal in The Homecoming: A Christmas Story.
Olivia Walton is John-Boy’s mother, and the matriarch of the Walton family.
Zebulon “Grandpa” Walton
Played by: Will Geer, seasons 1-6. Edgar Bergen in The Homecoming: A Christmas Story.
Zebulon is John-Boy’s paternal grandfather, the father of John Walton Sr.
Esther “Grandma” Walton
Played by: Ellen Corby, seasons 1-8 (only two episodes in seasons 6 and 8) and in five of the TV-movies.
Esther is John-Boy’s paternal grandmother, the mother of John Walton Sr.
John-Boy has six younger siblings:
- Jason Walton, the second-oldest son in the Walton family. He has a talent for music. Played by Jon Walmsley.
- Mary Ellen Walton, the oldest daughter in the Walton family. She is headstrong and driven, and eventually becomes a medical doctor. Played by Judy Norton Taylor.
- Erin Walton, the second-oldest daughter in the Walton family. Becomes a telephone operator and manufacturing supervisor. Played by Mary Elizabeth McDonough.
- Benjamin “Ben” Walton, the third Walton son. Has an entrepreneurial spirit. Played by Eric Scott.
- James Robert “Jim-Bob” Walton, the fourth and youngest Walton son. Has a talent for mechanical work. Played by David W. Harper.
- Elizabeth Walton, the third daughter of the Walton family and also the youngest of all the siblings. Just like her oldest brother, she is fond of reading and has a neck for writing. Played by Kami Cotler.
Other main characters
- Ike Godsey is the local postmaster and owns the general store. Played by Woodrow Parfrey in The Homecoming: A Christmas Story and by Joe Conley in the entire tv-series.
- Corabeth Walton Godsey is John Walton Sr´s cousin and married to Ike Godsey. Played by Ronnie Claire Edwards.
- Curtis Willard is Mary Ellen´s husband. Played by Tom Bower before the character is injured in WWII (seasons 5-7) and by Scott Hylands after.
- Cindy Brunson Walton is Ben Walton´s wife. She is played by Leslie Winston in season 7-9.
- Rose Burton is Olivia´s cousin. She moves in with the Walton family to help out when Olivia´s tuberculosis forces her to live in a sanatorium in Arizona. Played by Peggy Rea in season 8-9.
Rev. Matthew Fordwick
Rosemary Hunter Fordwick
Verdie Grant Foster
Sheriff Ep Bridges
Sara Griffith Bridges
Rev. Tom Marshall